Thursday, March 31, 2011

In bocca al lupo!

Everyday is fantastic and totally exhausting. The city is so loud, but beautiful. The beauty makes up for it and I easily get lost in it so that sound is almost drowned out. Not only the beauty of the city, but the contradictions of the city. The juxtaposition between antiquity and modernity. It's really weird, you know? The streets are made of chunky, square, and weathered cobblestone; and upon these roads that all lead to Rome, cars of all sizes drive, and by drive I mean speed, like nobody's business. They park in places you'd never think a car could fit. The car horn is like an extension of their hand, haha.

My favorite image so far is when we were walking somewhere, and passing us in the opposite direction was a priest listening to an iPod and smoking a cigarette. Best memory so far. He epitomizes the strange juxtapositions I see everyday in Rome.

And I thought I walked a lot in Seattle. No, I walk distances I wouldn't even dare walk in Seattle. Thankfully, we've gotten free bus passes - yay!! That'll be a whole 'nother adventure though. Traveling via bus through Rome... In bocca al lupo!
In bocca al lupo literally means "in the mouth of the wolf", and is an expression for Good luck! or Break a leg! And the response is Crepi! which means "shall he/the wolf die!". 

No comments:

Post a Comment